Saturday, August 11, 2012

Why I'm here

The first time I picked up a crochet pattern, I had no idea what it was talking about! It was like another language! I had learned some very basic stitches from a college roommate, but we had never gotten to the point where I was reading patterns. I used those few stitches to make my then-fiance a simple afghan.  We were married shortly after that and have now been married for more than 10 years! He recently found that blanket in a box and was SO excited to have his "special" blanket!

Shortly after we were married, we moved near my in-laws. I discovered a book on their shelves that taught all kinds of yarn crafts, including crochet. From that book I learned how to read patterns and combine simple stitches to make more complicated stitches. After that, I began making baby shower gifts and creating things for my own children. I love finding new and interesting patterns. My boldness in trying them, and creating some of my own designs has continued to grow over the years.

In the last 10 years, we have had a lot happen. We've had four children, buried one at birth, and been through too many hospital stays with the rest. Our youngest son had a blood vessel burst on his spinal cord shortly after his second birthday. He is now paralyzed from the chest down and requires a great deal of care.

Because of my now three-year-old son's health issues, it is difficult for me to go out at all. Working outside the home seems very near impossible and extremely impractical. Let's face it, I'd rather be home with my kids anyway! Since my husband is currently a full time student, I began looking for ways that I could contribute to our financial needs and also stay home. This is why I started looking at my crocheting hobby as a possible source of income.

It has been ideal for me to be able to do something I LOVE, from my home, and on a schedule that works for my family. I have thoroughly enjoyed designing new creations and sharing them! I hope you will find something you love here!

No comments:

Post a Comment